Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

Le Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 10:46:54AM +0100, Enrico Zini a écrit :

> The responsibility for a healty community, where everyone can feel
> included and accepted, is nominally the responsibility of everyone in
> the community. In practice, however, it is *primarily* the
> responsibility of the people who are *in a position of privilege and
> power* within that community.

Hi Enrico,

please do not take what follows as a criticism or a sarcasm, but more as
an encouragement at taking action:

as a member of the Front Desk and as a Debian Account Manager, you are
among the people in position of power in our community.

Gerardo's persistance in writing statements that are more or less
threats to misgender people in the future, after he was explained how
wrong it is, after the Community team made itself available for
providing him further guidance in private, and after the DPL called the
discussion closed, is clearly in violation of the code of conduct.

Clarty, warnings, and timeliness were among the main points people were
asking for when expulsion procedures were discussed last year.
Personally, as a simple member of Debian, my red line is to always
refrain to ask others to leave.  But your delegations makes it possible
and appropriate for you to take that decision when needed.

Have a nice day,

-- Charles

PS: you also wrote:

> politely and patiently educate the privileged ones.

Just a side comment: at the moment in France "priviledged ones" is a
derogatory term to fingerpoint people who use their right to go on
strike.  So please do not be surprised if at least some French people
dislike being told that they are priviledged.  (Not to mention the heads
of priviledged people cut off a couple hundred years ago.)  I think that
everything you rightly say about how hard it is to understand how other
suffer if we do not suffer it ourselves, can be written as effectively
without categorizing others as "priviledged".

--
Charles Plessy                              Akano, Uruma, Okinawa, Japan
Debian Med packaging team         http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med