Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

Martina Ferrari dijo [Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 07:40:41PM -0300]:
> (...)

I am always sad and disheartened when this kind of threads erupt. And
I can only imagine how this hurts people that cannot just sympathize
with you, but suffer instead in their own bodies and lifes the
discrimination. I am a believer of social change towards inclusiveness
and acceptance, but it's a long and very gradual process.

> It looks like that transphobia is countered with slaps in the wrist, not
> the universal rejection abhorrent views deserve. A single transphobe
> makes a community a dangerous place for trans people. Trans people are
> disproportionally affected by hate crimes: we are attacked, abused, and
> killed every day. We can't take risks: this is not a stupid debate about
> English Grammar[2] FFS, we are talking about peoples' lives and health!

I agree that the message that started this thread is abhorent, and am
happy our community didn't leave it unanswered. I am in [VAC], so am
answering to lists quite seldom.

Now, I do _not_ share your views that "transphobia is countered with
slaps in the wrist". We have seen some important answers and sanctions
against people acting in transphobic ways. Yes, we can only react to
hurting messages _after_ the fact they were posted and cannot withdraw
them by the mere nature of our system. But other than that, the
community response to said mail (and some +1's) was quite strong and
clear. And, as I said, I believe in change. But the change must go
through many steps.

Many of us have been in social settings and grew in family
environments that eased our understanding and acceptance; some come
from different backgrounds. I hope that even the most conservative
people accept the deep humanity in the very hard decisions you and
countless others have taken regarding your identities. Even if this
talk does not convince the original poster, I hope it does slowly lead
others to understand the processes.

Of course, I agree that biting the bait and going to discuss grammar
was not the best course of action. But this particular community is
quite prone to end up discussing technicalities and minor
points. Please forgive the chain of posts that led to grammar being
brought to the table :-|

Big, warm, sincere, loving hugs.