Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

Le lundi 23 décembre 2019 à 09:22:12+0900, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> Dear Pierre-Elliott,

Dear Norbert,

> thanks for your email. I would like to ask you for an explanation:

What makes me sad is that you didn't even try to give one for your own
attitude. :/

But here we go, I'll try to answer to your query.

> On Sun, 22 Dec 2019, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> > If you have troubles with diversity and the fact that to protect it, we
> > have to be more careful with minorities than we have to be with the
> > regular majority, no one is forcing you to stay in the project.
>
> Could you please tell me how you came to the conclusion that I have
> troubles with minorities? I have pointed at and criticized Ferrari's
> email without regress on her gender identity or any other personal
> criteria. What makes you extrapolate that I have problems with
> inclusiveness?

I think you have some specific troubles with some english words. There
are many ways to explain that. At first, seeing your reactions in this
thread, I thought it could be related with you trying to prove a point
by being offended by anything. This point could be linked to your
previous expulsion from the project. And if you read my email too
quickly, it's actually easy to simulate being offended by it. But it's
also plausible that it's just because English is not your native
language.

"If", at the beginning of an assertion, tends to make it hypothetical.

For the sake of the current discussion, let's assume that I say that you
have troubles with diversity and that you ALSO have troubles with the
fact that to protect diversity, we have to make more efforts towards
minorities than we have to do for non-minorities.

Let's assume I said that. It still doesn't say that you have any
specific trouble with minorities. That's quite a surprise, but actually
you can't read anywhere in my sentence such a thing.

Regardless of this grammatical point, you showed by yourself on other
lists, and on your blog (does Sage Sharp ring a bell?) that you actually
have troubles with some people who weirdly incarnate some very specific
minorities. You also have proved on the same channels that promoting
diversity by protecting minorities and their discourses is something
that unsettle you.

My previous email was in reaction to yet another personnal attack on
Tina you made, because she dared link a "judge statement" regarding some
transphobic shit that occurred. You said that she, Tina, creates a bad
environment because she wants to be considered and respected, according
to the CoC.

And you did such an attack just after some tone-policing and ask for a
"ban" from listmasters because Tina's emotions got out of hand.

Considering your past attitudes, don't you think this could be seen as a
pattern? If really you meant well, I thought you could have said
something like  "I disapprove Geraldo's email, but I also disapprove the
use of insults and you should avoid these, please don't do it again,
thanks".

And since you came back, it's not the first time you do such things. And
yes, it makes me wonder if you actually have an issue with diversity and
it's protection.

I could be wrong. Please prove me I'm wrong. That'd mean that you have
consideration for diversity, and, by echo, for trans people and other
minorities (after all, they are human beings, you know), and it'd be a
good thing for them and for the project.

> To make it crystal clear, here a Gedankenexperiment: Assume I would
> state on the debian-project mailing list that
> 	Pierre-Elliott Bécue thinks that all foreigners living
> 	in Japan are transphobe.
> How would you feel/think about such a statement? But I would have done
> the same as you, extrapolating from one criticizing statement to
> criticizing the minority the person belongs to.

I have troubles to follow your path of thoughts here. Maybe it's because
English is not my native language. Could you ellaborate, by making a
comparison that actually looks like one?

> Thanks for reading till here.

Thanks for trying to be a better person.

Best regards,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2