Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

Le 24/07/2019 à 15:16, Vincent Bernat a écrit :
> Without a GR, the outcome is decided by a shouting contest. A GR seeems
> great to know if people are a majority or not.

A GR is not just a poll.

Consider the following two questions:
i) Which is the recommended workflow among X, Y, Z?
ii) Do I accept, whatever the result of i), to make it mandatory for all
submitted packages?

I'm not sure most would agree to ii) unless they support the option
chosen in i)

What if the chosen standard is far from perfect?
It's been said that the vcs² approach of gbp+quilt is more of a
workaround than a well designed one. And there may be other problems.

How will we be able to make (on even seek) progress if the workflow
requirements are strictly defined?

While the positive outcomes of having such a standard are clear, I think
it should first come as a strong recommendation: the "right way" of
doing packaging in most situations, along with a clear documentation and
a toolchain working out-of-the-box and handling the different use-cases.

If it's the "painless way", it will become a standard even without a GR.

--
captnfab