Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

 ❦ 24 juillet 2019 17:07 +10, Alexander Zangerl <az@debian.org>:

> well, i do exist. i have a few packages that aren't vc'd, and i don't see
> any need to change that. while i don't mind git, but i'd hate to be _forced_
> to use salsa and gbp.
>
> so, why isn't it enough to recommend those things?

Because without uniformity, we make it harder for people to contribute.
I have already mentioned Fedora that provides everything in git with CI
enabled, ability to contribute with pull requests, but that's far the
only proponent. For example, NixOS works this way and they maintain more
packages than us with far fewer people. HomeBrew is another example.
While not having any official position in either of these projects, I
was able to contribute easily to both of them because they use a
standard workflow: no need to read tons of documentation.

Having everything in git would be a first step.
--
Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full value of a joy you must
have somebody to divide it with.