Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

On 7/23/19 7:55 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> 1- Mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser, meaning we do mandate using Git for
>> packaging.
>
> I don't see how we can mandate git. What if I do *not* use any vcs at
> all?

Then use one?

> I don't see that mandating git has any reason besides the "appeal to
> popularity", which at least in critical thinking circles is commonly
> seen as fallacy.

The idea is to be able to use unified tooling. Currently, we can't for
example easily do a mass-commit on all packages. Or apply a new CI test
to all packages. And that's even without considering the entry barrier
for contributing to the Debian archive. In for example FreeBSD, it's a
way more obvious how to contribute to /usr/ports. In Debian, it's not.

>> 2- Mandating using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout for Git, as this
>> seems to be the most popular layout, and that we need some kind of
>> consistency.
>
> Again, this might be a good idea for a recommendation, but mandating
> doesn't make sense.

Same reason as above.

>> 3- Mandating using Salsa as a Git repository.
>
> No comment on that from my side. I will not move there.

Maybe you could at least consider moving away from Github, and switch to
a platform based on free software? For example own gitlab instance. Or
anything else. I'm really bothered by Github, like a few of us are.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)