Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

Hey Thomas!

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 07:31:11PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>This probably has been floating around for some time. IMO, enough time
>so that we start to discuss $subject.
>
>Before starting any type of text for such a GR, I'd like to hear you
>folks. What are your thougts about all this? Especially, I'd like to
>hear others that would be *AGAINST* such a GR.
>
>I'm not sure yet I really want to start all of this. Sometimes, no GR is
>better than a GR. If the discussions we will have here leads me to
>believe there's no chance for the GR to pass, I probably wont initiate
>it. But at least, I would like the discussion to start.
>
>So, the topics are:
>
>1- Mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser, meaning we do mandate using Git for
>packaging.

While this may seem like a no-brainer. there really are things that
git doesn't do well. Really large binary files do not work well in a
git repo - talk to the games team, for example.

>2- Mandating using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout for Git, as this
>seems to be the most popular layout, and that we need some kind of
>consistency.

I think there's far more variation here than you think.

>3- Mandating using Salsa as a Git repository.
>
>I do believe #1 will pass easily, but that it's useless without #2, and
>there is some kind of uncertainty. For #3, I'm not even sure we should
>vote for that, I probably even prefer it not to be voted for myself,
>though what's annoying me is having to pull some packaging from non-free
>services such as Github, and this would make an end to it.

There are genuinely good reasons for *not* using salsa. If the debian
packaging is directly included as part of the upstream git repo(s)
somewhere else, for example. It's a good thing to encourage salsa
usage (and I agree 100% with that for most things), but let's not
argue about making things mandatory please.

"Managing a volunteer open source project is a lot like herding
 kittens, except the kittens randomly appear and disappear because they
 have day jobs." -- Matt Mackall