Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

>>3- Mandating using Salsa as a Git repository.
>>
>>I do believe #1 will pass easily, but that it's useless without #2, and
>>there is some kind of uncertainty. For #3, I'm not even sure we should
>>vote for that, I probably even prefer it not to be voted for myself,
>>though what's annoying me is having to pull some packaging from non-free
>>services such as Github, and this would make an end to it.
>
> There are genuinely good reasons for *not* using salsa. If the debian
> packaging is directly included as part of the upstream git repo(s)
> somewhere else, for example. It's a good thing to encourage salsa
> usage (and I agree 100% with that for most things), but let's not
> argue about making things mandatory please.

If the problem one is trying to fix is people keeping the only copy on
some proprietary service (which I think Thomas cited as motivation),
perhaps it would be sufficient to suggest/recommend that people have an
additional repo on salsa, and set up the hooks to ensure that every push
gets immediately bounced onto salsa.

I'd think that most people would have few objections to doing that,
especially since it gives them the reassurance of a backup.

Perhaps all that's really needed here is documentation to point people
at that tells them how to do it easily easily.

Of course there's still the question of how to deal with the metadata
surrounding the repo, that might be stuck inside the proprietary
service, so maybe that's not a complete fix.

Cheers, Phil.