Re: Planet Debian revisions [and 1 more messages]

Ulrike Uhlig writes ("Re: Planet Debian revisions"):
> Please, no. A commit message ensures that everybody is aware of the
> removal reason, including planet admins. Resorting to email? I don't
> think emails are encoded in the feeds and we cannot reasonably expect
> people to search for them...

I agree that some kind of publication of the reason is a good thing.

However:

Sean Whitton writes ("Re: Planet Debian revisions"):
> I'm afraid I don't follow.  I wanted to keep details out of commit
> messages because of the fact that commit messages are a permanent
> record.  How does contacting the planet admin team solve this?

I very strongly agree with Sean that we should not immemorialise such
things in commit messages.

Years later someone who did some bad things when they were much
younger might reasonably come to us and say "can you please redact
that unfortunate incident from your public web page - it's ancient
history now".  We should be able to honour such a request without
using git-filter-branch.

Surely we can find a way to make this information transparent in a way
that makes it easier to expire it ?  Even a dedicated mailing list
would be better since it would let us expire the archives.

Ian.