Re: Planet Debian revisions

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 02:37:00PM +0000, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Jonathan Carter:
>
> > I think that it might be beneficial to revisit the rules of Planet
> > Debian and fortify it a bit.
>
> Thanks for this initiative.
>
> > The Planet's rules aren't that bad, it's quite liberal; any debian
> > contributor can post and the rules even encourages political posts.
> >
> > If you haven't read it in a while, here it is:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/PlanetDebian
> >
> > I think it's important to be upfront that if an outside contributor
> > wants to republish content on Planet Debian, that they be aware that we
> > have certain community standards and that we expect them to follow it.
> > Currently the planet wiki page doesn't mention the CoC rules at all,
> > which a casual contributor might not even be aware of.
>
> For reference, this is the Debian CoC:
> https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

Which claims:

  The Debian Project, the producers of the Debian system, have adopted a code
  of conduct for participants to its mailinglists, IRC channels and other modes
  of communication within the project.

(for clarity, that was part of the original GR that validated the code
of conduct)

I don't think it's a stretch (at all!) to claim that Planet Debian falls
under the "other modes of communication" bit there.

> At Tails we have a CoC that applies to all spaces in which we interact
> with each other, be they physical, mailing lists, or other tools we use.

So does Debian, actually (at least in my interpretation, which I don't
think is unreasonable).

[...]
> > I also think that the paragraph about "not annoy people" should be
> > completely overworked. First, even following its intentions, it's way
> > too vague. Secondly, annoying the right people is an incredibly
> > important part of being human, and I think it's morally wrong of us to
> > ask people not to annoy anyone whatsoever.
>
> I think what I miss a bit in the Planet rules is the "Be respectful"
> part and the "Be careful in the words that you choose. Be kind to
> others. Do not insult or put down other participants. Harassment and
> other exclusionary behavior aren't acceptable." Making it clear that you
> cannot always agree, but that personal attacks are unacceptable.

I think the code of conduct states those things too (although in other
formulations), and just updating the Planet rules to clarify that the
code of conduct applies should be enough?

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard