Re: Planet Debian revisions

On 2019/01/01 22:22, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>>> I think it's important to be upfront that if an outside contributor
>>> wants to republish content on Planet Debian, that they be aware that we
>>> have certain community standards and that we expect them to follow it.
>>> Currently the planet wiki page doesn't mention the CoC rules at all,
>>> which a casual contributor might not even be aware of.
>>
>> For reference, this is the Debian CoC:
>> https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
>
> Which claims:
>
>   The Debian Project, the producers of the Debian system, have adopted a code
>   of conduct for participants to its mailinglists, IRC channels and other modes
>   of communication within the project.
>
> (for clarity, that was part of the original GR that validated the code
> of conduct)
>
> I don't think it's a stretch (at all!) to claim that Planet Debian falls
> under the "other modes of communication" bit there.

Yes absolutely, I didn't mean to imply anything of the contrary. I just
brought it up because I think it would be a good idea to link to the CoC
from the PlanetDebian wiki page.

>> I think what I miss a bit in the Planet rules is the "Be respectful"
>> part and the "Be careful in the words that you choose. Be kind to
>> others. Do not insult or put down other participants. Harassment and
>> other exclusionary behavior aren't acceptable." Making it clear that you
>> cannot always agree, but that personal attacks are unacceptable.
>
> I think the code of conduct states those things too (although in other
> formulations), and just updating the Planet rules to clarify that the
> code of conduct applies should be enough?

I think it's part of it.

I really do think it's also worth while to explicitly have a short part
stating what the planet is not appropriate for, stating that it's not
appropriate to use the planet to republish personal arguments or smear
campaigns. Sure, that would also be against the CoC, but it will make it
much more easier to remove posts that do things like that rather than
having to rely on an interpretation of the CoC every time that matter
comes up.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage