Re: producing, distributing, storing Debian t-shirts

On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 07:45:06PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> For many of us, it goes without saying that we'd not take a margin
> off merchandise we create/sell for our project, mainly because of
> our idealism.
>
> However, at the end of the day, all things considered, if Didier or
> Person X would mark those items up, say, 5% to cover the incidentals
> (not the time spent), then I wouldn't have a problem with that.
> It'll certainly help if they were entirely transparent about it,
> though.

I for one would be glad even if he _did_ take a fair fee for his time spent.

And it would make a difference:

# It's been fun in 2011, but I would not do it again, no.  I have better
# uses of my Debian time.  :)

If you get compensated beyond the costs, you don't get that warm fuzzy
feeling of doing gratis work, but still do provide a welcome service to
members of the project.  If that can tip the threshold between the service
being provided or not, then why not?

> Note also that there's nothing that prevents Person Y from producing
> Debian merchandise and offering it with a more substantial markup.
> If people buy it (i.e. the price is right), then everyone benefits…

Note the data mentioned in this thread:
* decent printed shirts cost $0.60 in a large batch (including the
  manufacturer's profit)
* "very good quality" printed shirts made in a small batch retail for $3 if
  you skip most of the "rich country" artificial markup (ie, the price you
  pay in shop is "what the market will bear" rather than just what would
  keep the seller in business)

Thus, there's a massive gap between doing it for costs and a full commercial
operation.  It's not hard to find a sweet spot in between that would flood
relevant places with people in Debian-themed clothing while not cutting into
volunteers' unpaid time.

(Obviously, not everyone finds organizing such an operation fun -- I for one
would find doing this myself abhorrent, my contributions are 10% code fixes
90% wise-ass remarks -- but Debian is pretty diverse, and some of us have a
modicum of skill here.)

Meow!
--
Don't be racist.  White, amber or black, all beers should be judged based
solely on their merits.  Heck, even if occasionally a cider applies for a