Re: What it means to be Debian

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 08:45:15PM +0200, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
> > Debian isn't advertised as a distribution whose main goal is to
> > provide 100% free something while not providing anything non-free,
> > I think there are other projects with such advertising. So I think
> > that such strong metaphors can't be applied to Debian.
> Except it is by our Social Contract.
See my other email.

> Regarding that I think we should point people that reach this
> community (especially if they want input from us) towards things we
> work on: so to say we have **free** services as alternatives to *that*
> google services and we use and stand by them.
For most services you can't say "we".

> On the other hand - I do believe that Debian contributors should
> uphold Social Contract and DFSG as much as possible because if we
> don't push it forward and believe in it, then no one else will.
SC says "Debian will remain 100% free". What do you mean by upholding that
and pushing that forward? Saying something else in place of "Debian"?
That's mostly not constructive.

> because AFAIK you don't need to know how and who produced organic food
> to buy one (everyone can find countless examples on this thought).
Thanks for that metaphor, "organic food" has some nice similarities to
"100% free distribution".

> Be polite, give your best on everything but also understand that not
> everyone has neither will have freedom to use/do something without
> making their life more difficult for not (in their eyes) too much
> personal gain.
That's true.

--
WBR, wRAR