Re: Survey on Bug Tracking Tools

Hi,o

On 16.06.2015 05:00, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Dominik> On 08.06.2015 20:46, Florian Weimer wrote:
>     >> Google services are quite popular among the FLOSS crowd at large.
>     >> You might not see many Gmail posters on Debian mailing lists, but
>     >> this is increasingly an anomaly.
>
>     Dominik> Which is, at best, a serious illness.
>
> I'm really frustrated reading this.  I'd like to share my frustration in
> hopes of seeking understanding and confirmation that we share the core
> value of working with a diverse set of contributors.

Sure.

> I hope Debian is a community that
> can respect a diverse set of needs and beliefs.

Yes and no.

AFAIAC, and in reference to the term „serious illness“ I used, I think
of it in the following way:

 a) NEEDS
 ========

 If our contributors NEED features that only Google, or the like, can
 provide, then the serious illness lies in that we, the FOSS community,
 obvioulsy failed to provide something comparable or even better.

 b) BELIEF
 =========

 If any Debian contributor BELIEVES that the use of Google, and the
 like, is a good thing, then the illness lies in the divergence between
 their contribution and their values, and in that case, I honestly do
 NOT respect that and consider it harmful.

I really also see a strong imbalance between various parts of the
project. On the one hand, there is a non-free section that holds
non-free software, ready to be installed by users at will. Then, there
is you (and probably others) argumenting in favour of placing everyday
communication in the hands of companies which are proven to not respect
freedom. But on the other hand, we do care a lot about CDM/EME being
stripped out of the Firefox code just because some people do not like
DRM (neither do I, but if it is ok to route our *global* communication
through Google, why isn't it ok to route my *local* streaming through
CDM code, and not even leaving that decision up to me?

Really - please fight for freedom on all ends, or at least align your
views about accepting non-freedom on all ends.

-nik