Re: What it means to be Debian

Hi,

> This issue is important enough to me that I'd like to take a moment to
> share mine. I'm not trying to pursuade you.  I really appreciate how you
> presented your position; you didn't try to say I was wrong, and you were
> honest and open even when there is disagreement.
> I am not judging you or trying to say you are wrong.
> We disagree quite strongly, but at least today, there's room for that.

Thank you!

> If you succeed in making this sort of belief in free software a
> condition of being part of Debian, you will drive me and probably others
> away.  I suspect that personally I meet your  requirements.  However I
> wouldn't want to be part of such a closed community even if it would
> have me.
> I'd be sad if that happens, but I'd honor the change in the community.
>
> my reading of the current Debian is that I am welcome and that while a
> lot of us do value free software for itself, we are open to anyone
> upholding the DFSG and social contract.

I strongly support that. I also do *not* think that everyone who uses
non-free services or the like should leave Debian or is neitrely bad for
the community.

Mostly, I *personally* do not find those people authentic enough to
uphold any such community standard. It's somewhat like donating to a
species conservation organisation, taking the money from a purse made of
crocodile skin. It's quite impossible to take it seriously.

-nik