Re: What it means to be Debian

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 06:24:09PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > Mostly, I *personally* do not find those people authentic enough to
> > > uphold any such community standard. It's somewhat like donating to a
> > > species conservation organisation, taking the money from a purse made of
> > > crocodile skin. It's quite impossible to take it seriously.
> > Debian isn't advertised as a distribution whose main goal is to provide
> > 100% free something while not providing anything non-free,
> [...]
>
> Yeah it's such a minor goal that it's the first point of the Social
> Contract.
I'll quote it:

"We will support people who create or use both free and non-free works on
Debian."

That is not the same as what I wrote but what I meant was we don't say
things like "our community must actively reject the non-free counterparts"
or "we will not distribute, recommend, or otherwise support non-free
software", as some other distributions do.

--
WBR, wRAR