Re: Entrepreneurial freedom for the Debian Partners Programme

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 10:10:11PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Luca Filipozzi <lfilipoz@debian.org> [2015-04-03 08:57 +0200]:
> > I'm prepared to accept pro-forma invoices from commercial organizations,
> > based on their published pricing.  Although it could be argued that
> > 1RU/1Gbps of hosting is the same no matter the location of the data centre,
> > the reality is that pricing varies widely and attempting to normalize
> > across markets is untenable.  In other words, my measuring stick is "what
> > would it have cost Debian to put a server in that data centre, based on the
> > published pricing".
> >
> > For academic institutions, we can find a corresponding commercial provider
> > in their jurisdiction / country, perhaps.
>
> Absolutely, iff we need the hosting, then we can rank it according to market
> price.

All of Debian's equipment is hosted gratis by one organization or other.

> However — I am not aware of prices for the type and volume of
> hosting required — but I'd be surprised if it'd slot in to the
> levels I'm imagining. I mean, look at
> https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/sponsors.shtml and think
> about the market price of some of the hosting offers we get. At
> most, they'd probably reach Bronze, if at all. And yet, it might
> just be that the admins there give us special access or support
> because they also use Debian etc. and suddenly you cannot weigh it
> up against purely financial support anymore.
>
> So I don't think the solution is quite that simple and I think we
> shouldn't rule out the possibility to just name in-kind donations as
> such, rather than to slot them in with financial scales.

I'm not opposed to separate in-kind and cash donation rankings.

> > Finding a single service capable of providing crowdrise-like
> > features AND a very wide variety of payment mechanisms may prove
> > difficult.  That said, we can begin our search with this as
> > a requirement.
>
> I'm new to crowdrise. What's the story?

It's not that I'm a proponent of crowdrise in particular.  Rather, it's the
feature set that's appealing.  There are several operators of similar tools.

> And couldn't crowdrise itself be (convinced to be) interested in
> supporting Debian by waiving commissions on incoming donations?

I doubt it: their business model is to offer non-profits a service.

--
Luca Filipozzi
http://www.crowdrise.com/SupportDebian