Re: Entrepreneurial freedom for the Debian Partners Programme

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 07:38:44AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Luca Filipozzi <lfilipoz@debian.org> [2015-04-03 04:52 +0200]:
> > Consequently, I am in favour of a recognition mechanism that values both
> > cash donations and service donations against the same scale, yielding a
> > platinum/gold/silver/bronze type ranking that is reassessed annually.
> > Something like: https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/sponsors.shtml
>
> Note that this pages splits financial and hardware donations, which I
> understand that you don't want, right?

My primary concern is recognizing organizations that provide in-kind
contribution to Debian (not labour, necessarily, but services).

> As I said in a previous post, evaluating in-kind donations against a
> financial scale is possible, albeit not always easy, and the evaluation
> depends on many factors, including our need and a suitable "market price" to
> use.

I'm prepared to accept pro-forma invoices from commercial organizations, based
on their published pricing.  Although it could be argued that 1RU/1Gbps of
hosting is the same no matter the location of the data centre, the reality is
that pricing varies widely and attempting to normalize across markets is
untenable.  In other words, my measuring stick is "what would it have cost
Debian to put a server in that data centre, based on the published pricing".

For academic institutions, we can find a corresponding commercial provider in
their jurisdiction / country, perhaps.

> > With regards to fundraising, I'm in favour of using a service such as
> > crowdrise.com -- and only one such service -- even if that means paying
> > 3-5% (plus credit card fees, if applicable).  By leveraging such a
> > platform, we can brand our donations portal, avoid managing multiple
> > payment processor accounts, conduct campaigns (no, not spam ... more like
> > "earmark your donation for X or Y"), etc.
>
> Yes, having a micro-payment service available for payments too would be
> beneficial.
>
> .oO( snowdrift.coop )
> .oO( BitCoin )

Finding a single service capable of providing crowdrise-like features AND a
very wide variety of payment mechanisms may prove difficult.  That said, we can
begin our search with this as a requirement.

--
Luca Filipozzi
http://www.crowdrise.com/SupportDebian