Re: Entrepreneurial freedom for the Debian Partners Programme

Hi Martin,

I recognize that you sent this to the soon-to-be DPL but I'll take the
opportunity (on debian-project to leave debian-vote for possible replies from
the DPL candidates) to share my thoughts.

In my experience in recruiting organizations to provide services (hardware,
hosting, DNS, CDN, etc.) to Debian, being able to offer ongoing acknowledgement
(ie, prominent webpage such as /partners) is the single most effective tool in
my toolbox (others being coordinated press releases, blog postings, and member
benefits).

Consequently, I am in favour of a recognition mechanism that values both cash
donations and service donations against the same scale, yielding a
platinum/gold/silver/bronze type ranking that is reassessed annually.
Something like: https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/sponsors.shtml

I do not find it antithetical to FLOSS principles to acknowledge, publically,
the contributions that organizations provide to Debian, be they academic
institutions such as MIT or corporations such as Bytemark.

With regards to fundraising, I'm in favour of using a service such as
crowdrise.com -- and only one such service -- even if that means paying 3-5%
(plus credit card fees, if applicable).  By leveraging such a platform, we can
brand our donations portal, avoid managing multiple payment processor accounts,
conduct campaigns (no, not spam ... more like "earmark your donation for X or
Y"), etc.

In support,

Luca

--