Re: Geant321 and geant4 in science package

Hi Christophe,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:36:35PM +0100, Christophe Hugon wrote:
> Hi,
> I relaunch the question of GEANT4.

thanks for bringing this up to the table again as you did last April
when I answered[1] that it might be a good idea to contact Debian
Science team since the coordination of packages like this is done on
this list.  Since a web search did not revealed a single post of yours
on this list I put it in CC for this mail to just leave a record there.

> I tried the repository that you introduced me, but it wasn't
> satisfying (not up to date, I had some bug troubles...)
> The version 4.10 of Geant is out, so I had to recompile it and I
> wasn't satisfy to do it locally on all of my computer and only for
> myself.
> So I was wondering, since it is not DFSG-conformed due to an
> anti-patent clause in the license, isn't its place in the contrib
> part of the debian project ? If it is the case, with which
> contribution group should I get in contact ?

It is good to contact Debian and as I said Debian Science is the right
forum to find people working on the same problem.

> An other point, I otfen use this soft
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/plotdigitizer/ to get back the data
> from plots (mainly from old publications). I find it very useful, it
> is under GPLv2 or LGPLv2. I didn't find this packet in the debian
> science project. I would like to create it. I could start with this
> one first.
>
> If you have some comments or some advices for a beginner, thanks in advance.

I'd recommend to read the Debian Science policy document[2] which has
some pointers to beginner documentation.  I'd be happy to sponsor your
package in my Sponsering of Blends effort[3].  You might be interested
in the viewing task[4] and the data acquisition task[5] of Debian
Science.

Hope this helps

      Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/04/msg00079.html