Re: Code of Conduct: picking up

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Inevitably, the CoC will be voted on in a GR.  The right time to
> continue this dogpile is in the vote.

Mh… we’ll see how that turns out.

> Norbert Preining writes ("Re: Code of Conduct: picking up"):
> > Why don't we try to be *honest*, something like
> >
> > 	Debian is a practical oligarchy. If you don't happen to
> > 	sit in key positions, you should be careful what you
> > 	are saying since disrespectful behaviour versus the
> > 	oligarchs will be punished by bans without recurse.

This matches my experience, and that of others.

> > Following the Code of Conduct I will probably be punished for making
> > jokes about the different gender, different religion, different
> > political opinion, and maybe even different OS. Where is the border,
> > where is the limit.

This is true. While many of such jokes are probably something
undesirable, some people go actively against any and all jokes
of that matter (I’ve had that Arabic script crashing Apple’s
text thingy in my .sig for a while, and got told off for it
very brusquely, so I had to remember to actively switch .sig
for when writing to Debian lists; and there are other cases
that aren’t even that “offensive”).

Those people will force Debian to leave around Unix tradition
even more, just to adhere to some sort of “political correctness”
that mostly comes from some culture that is only a part of the
whole.

> Your message is unhelpful and unconstructive, and makes unfounded
> allegations against listmaster et al.

Your message proves Norbert’s point very well, thank you.

I don’t oppose some sort of “code of conduct” in general,
but if it’s to be used as weapon, I think we’re better off
*not* having one (sorry Wouter) and thus will vote against.
(Enough of people either using the SC as weapon or telling
others off for merely remembering other people of the SC.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
[16:04:33] bkix: "veni vidi violini"
[16:04:45] bkix: "ich kam, sah und vergeigte"...