Re: Debian companies group

Le Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 09:07:22AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

> Regarding the secrecy requirement, I can totally see how sketching a
> business model involving several business entities on one of the two
> examples above could require some secrecy. I prefer to see it happening
> on a Debian-provided list where the only criteria is related to the size
> of companies, rather than in private discussions between a self-selected
> set of companies.

Hi Lucas and Michael,

here are brief comments that I hope to be useful despite I have no stakes in
this initiative.

The term "secrecy" is vague and may misrepresent what you are proposing.  If
the companies list would function with a secrecy agreement like debian-private,
then we could end up in the same absurd situations where people start an
intersting technical discussion that did not need to be secret, and that
becomes hard to integrate or be summarised outside until it is made sure that
every participant agrees.  I do not recommend this policy.  Maybe simpler
restrictions (no archive, moderation, ...) would also satisfy the participants ?

Obviously, companies that are fine with public archive, high-traffic, long
threads and stochastic follow-up are already with us on debian-devel...  In
that sense, for a new list there is by definition the need for an entry bar
that limits the number of messages and ensures that a large number of
subscribers are interested in reading them (let's not require participants to
be proficient with procmail).  Perhaps if you set a given (and flexible) number
of goals ("hardware support" and "long term support" sound excellent to start
with), and make them public, then you will reduce some of the crispation of not
being able to know what is going on the list in real time.

Have a nice week-end, and good luck for your project.

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan