Re: Debian companies group

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu wrote:

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Michael Meskes wrote:
regarding such special needs, i can think of a few projects that
could use hosting that provides a degree of confidentiality not
provided by the google-way.  do you suppose that google could make
an exception for them?  maybe forgo a little data-mining, deny
access to three-letter agencies, etc?

As a matter of fact I do expect my private discussion remain private
forever.  That they don't may or may not be Google's fault. But
where's your point?

i meant to provide an analogy, by substituting a more conventional
institution for the debian project, so that you might be less
astonished at encountering criticism here.

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Michael Meskes continued (though i snipped it in
my reply, failing to understand its relevance):

Do you want to tell us that said three-letter agency has access to
private Debian information?

no.  i would not know, and i meant to imply nothing of the kind.  the
analogy must have been far less clear than i imagined.

to elaborate:

the analogy substitutes not only google for debian, but also google's
characteristic tendency to share information with TLAs for debian's
characteristic tendency to share information with the public at large.