Re: Feedback on your Whois system proposal - Was: Re: Review of personal information sources in Debian

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 05:13:10PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > Recklessly exposing too much information outside the context in which it
> > was published can in some cases turn people away from contributing. If
[...]
> Couldn't most of these problems be solved by making the system opt-in
> (i.e. requiring the user to do some manual configuration under his
> alioth home with the ability to enable only the appropriate bits that
> he/she wants)?

I don't like "you opted in so now I do whatever I want with your data",
either.

opt-in could be useful for some odd features, but I think it's more
useful to allow people (within reason) to manage their information (both
in terms of being informed, and in terms of being able to change it),
and to be careful when playing with things that are visible by search
engine robots.

Ciao,

Enrico

--