Re: Feedback on your Whois system proposal - Was: Re: Review of personal information sources in Debian

(Sorry I've been so slow to respond, I was pretty busy these days)

Hi Olivier,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Olivier Berger
<olivier.berger@it-sudparis.eu> wrote:

> Your proposal looks very interesting to me : part of the interest of FS
> contributors, in contributing to projects, is to be able to demonstrate
> through a review of their contributions in the open, that they have
> skills that allow them to find good jobs.

> Such a service is great if people would like to find Debian related
> positions, and if the HR person wouldn't know where to search for past
> records.
>
> I think Ohloh.net provides, for instance an interesting comparison to
> your proposal (see my profile for instance [0]). In case you didn't know
> it, I suggest to check its features for inspiration.

Apart from the problems with Ohloh that Enrico already pointed out, I
haven't really thought of this as a sort of CV-enhancing thing. If it
helps anybody land a job, that's great. But my focus here was to make
people feel more engaged with Debian.

> Also may I suggest to think about adding a FOAF profile [1] and similar
> machine-processable (RDF based, for interoperability benefits) documents
> in addition to human readable ones, so that one can aggregate his debian
> whois with other forms of personnal profiles.

I'm all for that, yes. I don't know anything about these formats, but
once the data is there, it'll probably be just a matter of producing a
different output, or am I missing something?

Thanks, Martín.
--
Martín Ferrari