Re: Feedback on your Whois system proposal - Was: Re: Review of personal information sources in Debian

Martín Ferrari <martin.ferrari@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Olivier Berger <obergix@debian.org> wrote:
>> Do you have any preferred means to receive some feedback on your
>> proposal (I can't seem to find some comments on your blog post) ?
>
> Sorry, I've never had the patience or motivation to enable them :)
> Email to this very thread seems like a great place to discuss it :)

Great.

Here we go then :

Your proposal looks very interesting to me : part of the interest of FS
contributors, in contributing to projects, is to be able to demonstrate
through a review of their contributions in the open, that they have
skills that allow them to find good jobs.

Such a service is great if people would like to find Debian related
positions, and if the HR person wouldn't know where to search for past
records.

I think Ohloh.net provides, for instance an interesting comparison to
your proposal (see my profile for instance [0]). In case you didn't know
it, I suggest to check its features for inspiration.

Also may I suggest to think about adding a FOAF profile [1] and similar
machine-processable (RDF based, for interoperability benefits) documents
in addition to human readable ones, so that one can aggregate his debian
whois with other forms of personnal profiles.

For instance, I'm already linking in my WebID (which is FOAF based) [3]
my other "identities" at ohloh, on bibliographic indexes, or other
forges.

There's a plugin for FusionForge that provides FOAF descriptions of
accounts that could be used to provide a feed for consumption in your
tool, provided it was installed on alioth.

Of course, you may achieve same results without FOAF and RDF, but the
great thing about these standards is that anyone can mix these sources
with others and mesh a Semantic Web of people profiles for many use
cases. Interoperability :-)

Hope this helps.

[0] https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/oberger
[1] http://www.foaf-project.org/