Re: Switching the default startup method

* Tollef Fog Heen (tfheen@err.no) [090826 08:59]:
> ]] Alexander Wirt
>
> | Luk Claes schrieb am Monday, den 24. August 2009:
> |
> | *snip*
> | > Why would file-rc not work properly with dependency based booting?
> |
> | you know what file-rc is doing? You have a configfile where you list
> | your services and the bootlevels. So we have a configfile here. I
> | would have to reorder the whole file for dependency based booting, but
> | how can I do this reliable? And even if I would be able to do this,
> | this would mean to change a user configuration file which is against
> | policy.
>
> No, it's not.  Changing configuration files is fine, as long as you keep
> any changes the admin has made.  I don't see why this would be
> particularly hard, if insserv has a way to override particular bits?

Our release policy tells in
http://release.debian.org/squeeze/rc_policy.txt (please note the
difference between conffiles and configuration files)

3. Configuration files

	Packages must not modify their own or other packages conffiles
	programmatically. (The only correct way to modify a conffile is
	the user running an editor specifically; if anything more automated
	is required or useful, configuration files must _NOT_ be handled as
	conffiles)

	Packages must not modify other packages' configuration files
	except by an agreed upon APIs (eg, a /usr/sbin/update-foo command).

	Packages' /etc/init.d scripts must be treated as configuration files.
	Packages' /etc/default scripts must be treated as configuration files.

	Packages must not include files in /etc/rcN.d, but must instead use
	update-rc.d to indicate when their init scripts should be run.

        [...]

	Changes to configuration files must be preserved during a package
	upgrade. Configurations must be preserved on package removal, and
	only deleted when the package is purged.

Cheers,
Andi