Re: Switching the default startup method

On 2009-08-24, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> That's granted but it's easier to say from your place instead of petter's
> place... I for one appreciate the work that he has put in all this and
> I would highly prefer that you help him instead of complaining about his
> work.

*sigh*  If we all had the time to push everything we could release in two
months.

> Your mails would have been even better accepted if you said: Petter has
> been working on doing X, unfortunately some problems have been
> discovered, it would be nice if some people could jump in and help Petter
> achieve our goal.

"I appreciate that you're working on improving the experience of our
users during startup, e.g. by adding dependency information to the
init scripts. I think that will in the long run be good for Debians
users."

We agree that it's nice what he's doing, we disagree about the sudden
breaking of other packages without prior consensus.  And adding packages to
the (quasi-)essential set without prior consultation is wrong, too.
Think how it was discussed to switch to dash and how to do it properly.

I wonder if it was always the case that when you switch to upstart you
get to say 'Yes, I know I'll break my system, dpkg, please do it anyway.'.
It's at least the case now with hard dependencies on init stuff.

(And yes, I do use upstart with insserv.)

> Because you're giving away the message that you don't care very much of
> Petter's work and that you prefer staying with the old system instead of
> fixing the new system to suit your needs, and that's backwards.

We do care and he told you.  I find it very sad that you're bashing the
messenger now.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern