Re: Switching the default startup method

Raphael Hertzog schrieb am Monday, den 24. August 2009:

*snip*

> So please point us to bugs related to breakages on upgrades (there have
> been some I know, but I think Petter dealt with them correctly) if you
> want to use that argument to not switch to insserv by default. The
> current bugs that you pointed out only have to do with file-rc
> users that are not happy.
>
> I would like to mention the fact that the new file-rc maintainer is not
> really cooperative either (thus not improving the situation for its
> users). It would be nice if Alexander pointed out why he doesn't want to
> fix 539609, his angry reply in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=539591#15 doesn't bring
> the discussion forward while Petter tried to lay the path to allow file-rc
> to be a working alternative again.
I don't see any point on supporting insserv within file-rc. I use file-rc to
have an alternative to such a system. File-rc is different and will not work
properly with dependency based booting. I think resorting the configuration
file (hint, its a user file) is not a solution - so how should I implement it
in file-rc?. Its all about choice and also I don't like if another maintainer
which is not able to see its own bugs like to force me on its - in my eyes -
broken solution. All I want to have is that sysv-rc is working properly, its
usage of update-rc.d together with the debconf switch is just broken and a
bug and reacting on this bug with filling a bug against file-rc that it
should insserv in the future is not ok.

Alex