Re: the role of the LSB (was: On cadence and collaboration)

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:52:10AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I think it's the job of something like the LSB to ensure a necessary
> baseline across distros on which vendors can build.

Well, maybe; however the LSB is *very* baseline, so not very useful.

Besides, it is heavily geared towards ISVs, not other FLOSS projects.
Having a unified set of core packages across a number of important
distributions would make it easier for other upstream projects to target
their support at (as opposed to just supported the latest stable or even
unstable/snapshot release).

And in the end, the LSB would profit as well, as it could more easily
define the set of base packages required, based on what is decided upon
by the those interacting distributions.

Whether this is something Debian should desire is a different matter I
have not made up my mind upon.

Michael