Re: the role of the LSB (was: On cadence and collaboration)

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 02:49:37PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 02:02:59PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:

> > I am failing to accept that vendors need to use those very specific
> > things in their software.  just like I doubt that people need IE-HTML
> > to make their sites render properly. I think laziness^W business
> > thinking is more likely an option.

> Probably because you don't write this kind of software then. I'm working
> for telco stuff, we have very specific needs towards the high
> availability interfaces (epoll and similar) linux provides, and its SCTP
> stack. This only has caused us major issues in the past.

For that sort of stuff you normally end up needing to validate the
binary image of the system anyway - especially if the telco thinks it
can get away with charging you for compliance testing on any change.
What coding to standards buys you is a greater degree of protection
against things breaking underneath you which does get you 90% of the way
there.