Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:25:01AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Steffen Moeller schrieb:
> > Same here. The release team, or the individual that pressed the button for the
> > announcement, I suggest to apologize for disturbing our community.
> The text was coordinated within the entire press team, our release
> masters, the head of the technical commitee and the DPL.  IMHO there's
> no need for an apology.

It's remarkable how often people who should be apologising don't think
there's cause for an apology. Personally, I would suggest that the
"press team" made the mistake here of making an announcement on behalf
of the project of something pretty major that hadn't actually already
been discussed on any developer lists. I'm very surprised that neither
Bdale nor Steve made that point...

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:30:07PM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> That was meant in a more general way:  It seemed to me clear, that such
> a change would be picked up by the journalists as soon as they get to
> know.  I think you agree on that?

Yeah. Journalists do things like that. It's one of the costs of working
in public.

> That's not important; independently of whether there was time for mail
> to d-d-a or not, it's not the press teams job to keep Developers
> informed.  The press teams job is "external" communication.

Yes, and announcing this as a finished decision before it's even been
discussed amongst the developers is very misleading.

Cheers,
aj, watching master get shutdown as he types