Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

Holger Levsen wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 29. Juli 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
>>> The Debian project has decided to adopt a new policy of time-based
>>> development freezes for future releases, on a two-year cycle.
>> Disappointing to see such an announcement without any prior discussion on
>> d-project, d-devel or d-vote.
>
> I was and am also surprised. I do like the change but I'm not sure I like the
> way the Debian project has decided this...

Same here. The release team, or the individual that pressed the button for the
announcement, I suggest to apologize for disturbing our community.

I don't think that there should be any formal rules on what kind of announcements can be
made with or without prior public discussion. Those would weaken us. We should trust our
delegates and allow them to react quickly and appropriately when required. The release
team has certainly discussed it all a lot and it may have felt like a public discussion to
them, but it was not. It is all a matter of taste IMHO, and here I sense some less
self-reflective maybe problematic judgement.

Steffen