Re: Public request that action be taken at whoever abused their technical power to remove me from the kernel team at alioth.

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:23:27PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> writes:
> > On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 12:46:00PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> >> Debian is better off without you. Your behaviour has been a problem for
> >> the project in the past, is one currently and will be a problem in the
> >> future.
> > Mark, ...
>
> That's not my name.

Sorry for that, Marc, ...

> > How can you say that Debian will be better off without me ? My behaviour
> > as you call it, as been nothing but a reaction to what was done to me.
>
> Let's see. Imagine I would be actually insulted by your repeated
> misspelling of my name and would come to your house, hit you, burn a few
> things you own and then go away again. If anyone would try to punish me,
> I would simply say "Hey, he started it, it was just a reaction!"

There is a strong difference though. You point my mistake out to me, i
recognize it and apologize, the problem is solved.

In this case, even while nobody really denies that the fault are shared,
and that this is not a black and white situation, i get told that "first
you are to recognize that all fault is yours" (from Raphael Hertzog,
Frans Pop and Anthony Towns, then DPL, maybe others i have forgotten).

Furthermore, when i try to work with the unfair punishement (i submitted
around 30 patches to the d-i BTS while my commit was removed, as
documented in the wiki page, i self-enforced the email ban in
january/february), those guys come over and repeatedly beat me.

Error is human, but persistance in ones fault is evil (or bad or
whatever).

You could argue that my repeatedingly making a fuss about this on the
mailing lists is a sign of persistance, but i recognize it is not the
best solution, but i sincerely don't see how else i could act in this,
do you have a suggestion ?

And no, be meek and accept everything is not an option, and try to
ignore it and work despite it has not worked, so ...

> You might see there's a problem in this scenario: The reaction is in *no
> way* proportional to the initial action. And that's exactly what one
> sees when one is looking at your behaviour in the past few months.

Yes, please, let's look at my behaviour these past few months. Since
let's say november or so, when Fabio decided to mediate. I had email
burst out in the following cases :

  - suddenly Fabio  decides to ban me from the lists, while there was
    nothing but a single rather short irc exchange with Manoj to justify
    it.

  - suddenly, people ask for my expulsion again, while i respected the
    self-ban, but they disliked me candidating as DPL.

  - the DAMs chose to make a judgement which is more like a FUD and
    caloumny campaign, listing all the insults and accusations the other
    party has made, without even checking which part of it are plain
    lies, and without being transparent about the irregularities of the
    procedure they themeslves have set up. They furthermore take a long
    long time to actually come to a decision.

  - suddenly i discover my kernel svn access was removed, and when
    asking nicely the alioth admins, they make sure issues escalate,
    instead of quickly giving the answer.

The response may have been disproportionated, but if you look at the
long run, i am not sure this is the case, furthermore, i did nothing but
post a few mail, *AND THEN ENGAGE IN OPEN AND PUBLIC CONVERSATION WITH
THOSE WHO CHOSE TO SPEAK WITH ME*. Is this condenable ? I have some
doubts.

> Sven, go away, please. You have insulted and frustrated too many project
> members by now. There is no way you will ever get to be a part of Debian
> again.

Why not ? because they fear to look in the mirror and tell themselves,
that maybe sven was right in some part of those points, and maybe we
should have acted differently back then ?

But it is perfectly ok for me to be insulted and frustrated, and even
gone beyond words and punished ?

Saddened,

Sven Luther