[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Please expulse Frans Pop from debian

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 08:57:38AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:29:08PM -0700, Richard Hecker wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 22:56 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > 
> > ...<snip>...
> > 
> > > When will Debian realise that there should be a way to solve social problems,
> > > and actually try to solve it, instead of trying to censor or silence the most
> > > annoying party ? This is a real question, and once Debian has an answer for
> > > that, it will solve my problem, but also the innumerable flamewars in which i
> > > was not involved which surface regularly, and contribute to the not-fun
> > > ambient of which i am currently made the scapegoat.
> > > 
> > 
> > Realizing a problem exists does not guarantee a solution will be found.
> Well, the first step to solve a problem, is to recognize it exists. The second
> step is to have the will to solve it.
> > You have been a DD for too long to not understand how volunteers scratch
> > their own itch.  Why did you not find a solution?  You had the most to
> > gain from it.
> Because, i alone cannot solve it. Why do you think i candidated as DPL ?
> Because i am a masochist, and wanted to be attacked by the outraged hoards of
> haters who tried to expulse me for it ? No, because i recognized there was a
> problem, and also recognized that nothing can be done without having an
> official position of power in Debian, or at least a strong enough backing in
> the DPL campaign for it to be taken seriously.
Free software project work under various social principles. Becoming DPL to
´gain power' to somehow dictate the actions of a volunteer in a free
software project is not a solution in this domain. Debian has social
norms made by and respected by its members. You must _show_ by action,
by irc and email tone, by calm language and respect. You alone can not
decide if you meet these criteria, and that others don't, only a third
party. And you can't then decide that you don't like the third party
ruling. One person can not decide on their own what is ok and expect
others to follow, in a large project. It is based upon consenus. Folks
have stated how your behaviour was not acceptible to Debian (and
probably other) social norms but you insist on doing what you think is
correct while not respecting what Debian's other members have set. I´d
like to know where else this has worked? Try telling  a librarian that
you are allowed to yell in a library because you say so.  Have you seen
this[0]? I'm sure folks would like to know what you think of it.  I'd
love to see you contribute to ppc in Debian but you don't seem to
understand what about your behaviour others people object. 
[0] http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux == |       my web site:           |
| : :' :      The  Universal     |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|
| `. `'      Operating System    | go to counter.li.org and     |
|   `-    http://www.debian.org/ |    be counted! #238656       |
|  my keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |
|join the new debian-community.org to help Debian!              |
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: