Re: Plain English Please

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:18:12PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Did you happen to read this [0]?
>
> 'Debian is available for different computer architectures - make sure
> you are getting images that match your computer! (Most people will need
> images for "i386", i.e. Intel systems.)'
>
> Of course, right below that it says that the latest official release is
> 3.1 rev4.
>
> Then, of course, these things are all also covered in the FAQs.

If you look at the URL the original poster mentioned, I think they have
a point - exposing the cdimage.d.o directory layout like this isn't
really user friendly, we want possible users to find our distribution
without having to search through FAQs, this should be a no-brainer.

So while I don't think this is a dramatic problem, it might certainly be
something we could improve on.  One thing which just crosses my mind is
to maybe blend out most of the architectures, and only expose direct
links to i386, amd64 and powerpc plus an "Other architectures" link.  We
have a recurring support problem in #debian having to explain people
that their new Intel 64bit based box is really "amd64" and not "ia64",
for example.

Michael