Re: Constitutional Amendment GR: Handling assets for the project

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:54:26 +0100, Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> said:

> Manoj Srivastava writes ("Re: Constitutional Amendment GR: Handling
> assets for the project"):
>> As individuals, people who make up the board of SPI can already put
>> in their input.  Officially, the SPI board has no say here -- as
>> individuals, they have the same rights as everyone else.

> Not all of the current and future SPI board are participating here.

        I think that is an oversight of all the people who seem to
 think that SPI is a valuable  opinion provider. None of them I note,
 has sent an email to spi-{general,private}.

> I would suggest that the right approach would be to wait until after
> the SPI election, and then send a copy of the proposed amendment to
> spi-general, giving a specific timeframe for comments.

        Why? Why can't the input from these much vaunted individuals
 be sought out now? No one has offered any rationale for why the
 contributions of the individuals that make up SPI's boards, current
 and potential future, is less effective than an official statement
 from the new, as opposed to the old, board.

        All the statements about how these individuals have expertise,
 have experience, are level headed jolly good fellows would also apply
 to their opinions solicited and provided right now, without making us
 wait.

>> > Of course it is your ammendment, so it is your decision.
>>
>> Quite right. The DPL can, of course, extend the minimum discussion
>> period, under our constitution.

> It's the seconders' decision too.

> Manoj, would you please commit to not holding a vote on this until
> after the SPI election.  If you won't make such a promise, I will
> withdraw my second until later.

        There is no choice in the matter.  The DPL has invoked the
 constitutional clause forcing us to wait until well after the
 elections are over so that the SPI board has an opportunity to have a
 say in this GR.

        manoj
--
Hackers of the world, unite!