Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:31:12PM +0900, JC Helary wrote:
> >>Did it ever occur to you that one can be an active Debian contributor
> >>and not use Debian at all ?
> >
> >No. And even if it did, I fail to see how that is relevant here. You
> >cannot be an active Debian contributor without knowing about its
> >culture, which is what Marc was talking about.
>
> What is Debian more than a sum of packages that for some require
> translations, when seen from a FOSS translator ?

You know, you were *very* close to insulting me here, until I noticed
that you were speaking hypothetically. You might want to make that more
clear next time ;-)

I'm sure some people think that way, and I have nothing against that.

However, if such people want voting rights, that means they want to be
part of our community. If they want to be part of our community, I don't
think it's too much to ask for them to understand our community, and
thus, our culture.

People who're looking at Debian as "a bunch of packages in need of
translation, but otherwise not very interesting" are not likely to be
interested in voting rights. They are, thus, completely outside of the
scope of this discussion.

> Why do you think there is a need to "understand" whatever Debian
> "culture" there is to technically contribute to the project ?

There is none. There is, however, a need to understand the Debian
culture if you want voting rights.

--
Fun will now commence