Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On 2006/04/06, at 15:27, MJ Ray wrote:

We've thoroughly queered the pitch now, but how many translators
or documenters believed they could go through NM?

I think what matters more than the process itself is what Clytie just wrote:

The point is, Frans, since I started this discussion, that we don't necessarily want to be DDs.
But I, specifically, want to be able to vote in elections.
Do those two things really need to be the same?

I think that is why the hinted "membership" process must be clarified.

Contributors don't _want_ to be developers, but they feel they have a right to formally voice their opinion when such times come.

Official membership for decisive and long term contributors must be recognized regardless of the nature of the contribution. The fact that Debian is a distribution and that packagers are at the "core" of things is not relevant since there are plenty of tasks that are required to make Debian the succesful distribution it is today.

(There are the other general concerns about NM too, such as
an average of 200 days waiting for DAM at present.)

Definitely. If it is a developer's duty to handle that specific process then it is about time developers take their responsibilities in that regard. It is hard to swallow that developers have such exclusive rights if they don't have more consideration for their duties toward the community.

So maybe what we need to do is to rename NM to NC (new contributor) with
subpages detailing the differnet T&S for the different classes of
contributors.

How about calling it New Developer if that's what it should be?

New Member ?

Jean-Christophe Helary