Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:29:54 +0900 JC Helary wrote:

> The bug is in the relation between "from new maintainer->to
> developer" and the corollary "other contributors don't _need_ to
> become developers".
>
> However true that technically is, it clearly does not contribute to
> the well-being of non-maintainer contributors in the Project.

No, the bug is in realizing that a "New Maintainer" does not imply
_package_ maintainance - it is just the most common maintainance task,
and, it seems, the simplest to judge during the NM process.

Contribution is (sometimes) a single action, while maintainance implies
steady commitment.

Lots of people contribute to Debian. I find it sane to draw the line
between those just doing that and those committed to continuously
maintain package/translation/legal/whatever contributions (their own and
those of others).

 - Jonas