Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 02:30:46AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:24:26PM +0900, JC Helary wrote:
> > >Disadvantage, because the change will not be so evident from the
> > >outside (more of a publicity issue, but that is what a part of the
> > >problem is, so we need to change the image that DD=package maintainer)
>
> > No because, as you'll see in my edits to cobako's proposal, the aim
> > is to have people think in terms of "membership" and not in terms of
> > "developership". Which will obviously make it easier for long term
> > non-maintainer contributors to understand that they are also welcome.
> > All this is really a perception problem.
>
> I think the name "member" is worse than "developer" *because* it places the
> emphasis on membership (belonging) instead of on developership (doing the
> work).  We have no shortage of folks already who "belong" without
> contributing much to the project, I don't think this is the model we want to
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> emphasize.  (We also have plenty of people who contribute heavily to the
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^
> project without being recognized as members; but I think that "member" is a
> lesser title that doesn't do justice to their contributions -- I want to see
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> these people recognized as *developers*, not just as members.)
>
> And maybe I'm too heavily steeped in Debian culture to take an objective
> view, but I don't see any reason why translators, documentation writers,
> artists, et al. should look at the term "developer" and conclude it's not
> for them.  Developing an operating system is what we *all* do; not just
> packagers or maintainers, but also documentation writers, bug submitter,
> buildd maintainers, QA folks, translators, and everyone else.  The term
> isn't "software developer" or "programmer", it's simply "developer", which I
> think encapsulates the concept of what Debian is, and I wouldn't like to
> lose that.  I'd rather see us do a better job of communicating this
> principle to prospective developers instead.
Hi Steve,
you and others use the word 'contributing', 'contribute',
'contributions'. So why not 'Debian Contributor'. The legal staff
contribute to Debian, the Artists contribute to Debian, the (non-DD)
package maintainers contribute to Debian, etc. It just seems like an
ingrained word 'Debian developer' and 'DD'. I think 'Debian legal
contributor','Debian translation contributor', 'Debian art contributor',
etc. seem to not have the 'member' association and empathizes
contribution.
Cheers,
Kev