Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On 2006/04/06, at 22:21, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

If people don't understand that you don't have to write code to be a
developer, then they should be told. If they are told, and they
misunderstand, then that is a bug which should be fixed. But don't go
around claiming that I'm suddenly not a "developer" anymore -- I happen
to be quite proud of that.

Nobody's saying that you are going to stop being a developer. You can be proud of what you do being a developer. You've earned that status.

But requiring people who are not software developers to understand they suddenly have become developers because Debian is special is a little far fetched.

The bug is in the relation between "from new maintainer->to developer" and the corollary "other contributors don't _need_ to become developers".

However true that technically is, it clearly does not contribute to the well-being of non-maintainer contributors in the Project.

Jean-Christophe Helary