Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

Petter Reinholdtsen dijo [Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:19:58PM +0100]:

> [Chris Waters]
> > The problem with this is that popcon tends to be self-selecting for
> > "fan-boys".  People setting up serious servers with Debian are not
> > going to be installing extraneous software like popcon, and casual
> > users are unlikely to find it interesting enough to install even if
> > they happen to notice its existance.
>
> I suspect you have not tested the etch installation lately.  The
> popularity-contest question is asked as part of the standard
> installation path, so it is no-longer just for the few that know about
> it.  I do not know how you define "serious servers", but I know of
> quite a few servers with popularity-contest installed.

Well, it was also the default behavior for some time with the
pre-Sarge installer - I don't know why it was dropped (in the back of
my head I hear a little voice telling it was buggy or something, but
I've been taught not to listen to those little voices). I'd like to be
part of the standard install (of course, after answering a question,
as many people will not want to be silently reporting their data).

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23