Re: Experiment: poll on "switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?"

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

> I suspect you have not tested the etch installation lately.  The
> popularity-contest question is asked as part of the standard
> installation path, so it is no-longer just for the few that know about
> it.  I do not know how you define "serious servers", but I know of quite
> a few servers with popularity-contest installed.

I'd dearly like to install popularity-contest on our dozens of Debian
servers (among other things, it would surface usage of a few packages that
right now look rather anemic), but I don't think there's any chance I'd
get it past our computer security folks.  Yes, the data that it sends
isn't particularly sensitive, but it's still information about what
packages are installed on a system that could be used to structure an
attack and from their perspective there's no upside.