Re: Your posting: Debian on one dvd?

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Daniel Tasch wrote:

This is not just a problem in contries like India.  I am in the US and am
still on dialup, and can only get 26k at that.  I have to update my redhat
by mirroring the updates at work where I have a good connection, burning a
CD, and brining it home via "sneakernet".

I would love to be able to use Debian, but dealing with a new packaging
system along with it's extreem network-centeredness is making that
impossible.  What Debian really needs is to give some consideration to
people who have to do this manually.  Not everybody has a high-speed
internet connection.  Please be more inclusive.

Hopefully some of the responses you've gotten have given you some ideas for how to deal with this situation. Perhaps when we get the DVD produced we can team up with some American distributor too.

And fwiw, back in the days of yore when dinosaurs roamed o'er the land and this new-fangled apt thingy first came out, I used to stay uptodate with Debian unstable via a 28.8K modem. I used to start my download before going to bed and it would just be finishing up when I woke up. Mind you, Debian was a lot smaller then.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>