Re: Complaint about #debian operator

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, MJ Ray wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
> > (A +q silences the individual in question, while allowing them to
> > remain on the channel.)
>
> +q is a bizarre "half-ban" flag which doesn't appear in many (any?)
> IRC newbie guides, confuses some software and used to give inciting
> error messages on freenode like "the gods have taken your voice
> away" (I have an unstable internet link today, so I haven't checked
> now). Please don't use it on newcomers.

The alternative is to ban and remove them outright. I prefer using +q,
and I plan on continuing to use it, and advising other operators to
use it as well.

http://freenode.net/using_the_network.shtml

has the documentation about this flag, and is where we point anyone
who asks about exactly what happened. [I will be puting in a notice so
that people who get silenced like this will have an explanation, but
not using a useful tool because it's possibly confusing is silly.]

Don Armstrong

--
There is no such thing as "social gambling." Either you are there to
cut the other bloke's heart out and eat it--or you're a sucker. If you