Re: Complaint about #debian operator

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, MJ Ray wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
> > (A +q silences the individual in question, while allowing them to
> > remain on the channel.)
> +q is a bizarre "half-ban" flag which doesn't appear in many (any?)
> IRC newbie guides, confuses some software and used to give inciting
> error messages on freenode like "the gods have taken your voice
> away" (I have an unstable internet link today, so I haven't checked
> now). Please don't use it on newcomers.

The alternative is to ban and remove them outright. I prefer using +q,
and I plan on continuing to use it, and advising other operators to
use it as well.

has the documentation about this flag, and is where we point anyone
who asks about exactly what happened. [I will be puting in a notice so
that people who get silenced like this will have an explanation, but
not using a useful tool because it's possibly confusing is silly.]

Don Armstrong

There is no such thing as "social gambling." Either you are there to
cut the other bloke's heart out and eat it--or you're a sucker. If you
don't like this choice--don't gamble.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p250