Re: Debian UK

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> Well, I'm not sure that's much of a counterargument.  Just because DUS
> has chosen as partners companies that are a) leaders in their field and
> b) happy with the arrangement doesn't mean that its CD sales have zero
> impact on *others* that might be trying to sell CDs, does it?  Not that
> I have a problem with Steve, Phil, and the others either buying or
> selling CDs, but we should consider whether it's appropriate to be
> selling them under the name "Debian UK Society".  Maybe it doesn't a
> damn bit of difference, though -- whether it's DUS, or Phil and Steve,
> they're obviously going to be sold at the Debian booth, so the name
> endorsement is already there, right?

>From what I recall, the only other people that typically sell CDs at UK
shows are the people that provide us with CDs. It's /possible/ that in
the absence of Debian selling CDs, other companies would have sprung up
to do so - but that's fairly extreme handwaving. No evidence has ever
been presented that this situation discourages anyone.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.project@srcf.ucam.org