Re: Debian UK

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:57:08PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Daniel writes:
> > A not-for-profit organization (at least in Brasil) don't share the
> > profits among the share-holders, I mean, don't pay dividends.

> That's true of a not-for-profit (sometimes called nonprofit) corporation in
> the US.  Note, however, that not-for-profit is not the same as charitable.

FWIW, the terms "non-profit" and "not-for-profit" have distinct meanings
in common US usage; non-profit normally refers to a 501(c)(3)
corporation, whereas "not-for-profit" implies no such formal status.

You probably can't generalize about the organization of all US groups
that claim to be not-for-profit.