Re: "Why" Debian Core Consortium ? Why not UserLinux? Why not Debian?

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:02:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Ian Murdock wrote:
> >What does that mean exactly, "to talk to Debian"? The DPL is in
> >the loop, plus a dozen or more Debian developers that work for the
> >participating organizations.
>
> Which is to say, no one outside the partipating organisations is in the
> loop?

Given that it's a discussion body at present, it seems rather impossible to
stay out of the loop if one participates.

Ian, has anyone approached the DCC Alliance and been refused entry?

> Isn't this a good opportunity for either the tech ctte or the Scud Team
> to be involved, so the DPL doesn't have to put ridiculous amounts of
> effort into avoiding the obvious conflict of interest?

Some of them are already.

> (I couldn't easily find anything saying who's in the "DCC", so these are
> guesses, but I think the ordering is at least right:
>
>  100% of the DPL is involved in the "DCC" group,
>   33% of the SPI board's involved in the "DCC" group,
>   28% of the DPL team's involved in the "DCC" group,
>    0% of the tech-ctte's involved in the "DCC" group
>
> I guess something like 2%-5% of the developer body as a whole is
> involved in the "DCC"; I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at what
> proportion of Debian's extended userbase use distros involved in it)

For it to be meaningful, shouldn't we apply this same sort of analysis to
Ubuntu, debian-edu, debian-med, Linspire, Xandros, Mepis, Knoppix, or any
other customized Debian distribution?

Once that is done, perhaps we can undertake some more informed speculation
as to what phenomena correlate with what level of participation.

> Hrm. leader@ cc'ed.

It's unclear to me exactly what sort of reponse you're soliciting, but I
did my best.

--
G. Branden Robinson
Debian Project Leader