Re: Some Comments on Sexism in #debian

Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     AS> Sure, and that's best accomplished by everybody not being a
>     AS> wuss.
>
> It doesn't make you a wuss to be respectful to others. Quite the
> contrary: the strong know their own strength and don't need to flex
> their muscles all the time.
>
>     AS> Your proposed scenario is "We work together better but we
>     AS> can't get anything done because we can't talk to each other
>     AS> for fear of offending somebody".
>
> Being respectful doesn't mean mincing words or being
> ineffectual. People around the world talk to each other like human
> beings every day, and somehow manage to get things done.

<snip>
> You're mistaking talking straight with being a jerk. They're not the
> same thing. Jerks comfort themselves with that idea, but it's not
> the case. You can call a spade a spade without calling the guy holding
> it a spade-holding fuckwit and kicking mud on his shoes.
What Evan said.  I have attempted to be polite and respectful when
suggesting that people have their packages hijacked, be replaced in various
positions, be marked MIA, reread the Social Contract, etc. -- this is, at
any rate, theoretically possible, although I am probably not very good at
it yet. :-)

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/